Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Teen Competition

How's this for perfect timing:


Dallas Public Library "Express Yourself" Youth Poetry Competition



Y’all already know that I didn’t enter poetry competitions when I was in high school. I was, however, an adrenaline-hungry competitive violinist. Every year was the same. Fall was training season and spring was time to GET IN THE RING. Oh, and I think I did some English homework somewhere in there too.

My violin teacher was my mentor and a truly great man. Every year, he reminded me that a win is nice, but the real reward is in the preparation. Because that, he said, is when you discover just how far you can push yourself. And you become a better, stronger player with each competition. Winning? Well, it could mean that you really are the superior player or it could mean that this particular judge just happened to like your performance the best on this particular day.

Sometimes I won and sometimes I didn't. Sometimes I almost won - that being the most excruciating of all. Like the time during my senior year, when I placed first in my division for the second time in a row, yet didn’t win the grand prize (and a performance as a soloist with an orchestra) for the second time in a row. That near win hurt even more than I thought it would. My teacher stood next to me while I cried. He let me feel every drop of pain. Then he told me that my time would come and that yes, this ache would make me stronger.

He was right. Those competitions allowed me to see what I was made of as a violinist and as a person. They were about not being ashamed when I didn't win and not gloating when I did. And ok, before I write myself into perfection, I should be honest here: I did always love the spotlight - so they were a chance to go into a room and have all the focus on me, just me. Plus, I loved the rush.

There is a belief out there that when it comes to young people, everyone should win because competitions encourage kids and teens to feel badly about themselves. But maybe instead of letting everyone win, we should teach young people how to compete in a way that makes them stronger, braver and more willing to take risks. Am I being quixotic? What do you think? How did you feel about competition as a teenager?

3 comments:

  1. I tried not to be too competitive growing up, but it was hard. It got easier for me towards the end of high school and in college, because people were beginning to go their separate ways; we weren't all taking the same classes anymore, so we couldn't compare grades on tests or assignments. It was apples to oranges instead of apples to apples.

    But, like you said, competition doesn't have to be bad. I agree: we should teach young people (or all people) to compete in a way that makes them grow regardless of whether they win or "lose." I can't even begin to imagine how much better a place the world would be if we achieved that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Teehee, sorry, my spam word verification was "poodead" and it made me giggle! I am SUCH a child.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not as related, but did you read Kristan's post for a contest:

    kristanhoffman.com/works/plus-or-minus/

    It's good, the winner's was really good too (find "Jenny")

    ReplyDelete