Tuesday, December 1, 2009

BOOK: Bronx Masquerade by Nikki Grimes

It’s all about a high school English class. There are the students –Black, White, girls, boys, wistful, bold, and real. There’s the teacher, Mr. Ward. There’s the Bronx - described best by the students, sometimes optimistically: “Where else do cabbies and garbagemen, bankers and businessmen all walk with a beat” and sometimes with grit: “I be lucky if I make it to twenty-one with all these fools running round with AK-47s.”

And then there’s the poetry. Written by the students for Mr. Ward’s Open Mike Fridays, these heartfelt verses fuse all of their lives into one plot. Sure, it’s a plot we’ve all heard before: people misjudge each other, people see the truth, people grow to understand and appreciate everyone else. But it’s a wonderful plot and one that can unfold in so many wonderful ways. And I love Nikki Grimes’ way – with each character taking turns with his/her own narrative followed by an original poem.

I’ll admit that I had a hard time keeping track of all of the characters for the first 30 pages or so. Providing some coherency, however, is the voice of Tyrone, the outspoken and somewhat cocky kid who figures that if the streets don’t kill him first, he’ll be a rapper someday. Tyrone’s voice at the end of each new narrative reassures us that the newfound appreciation among the students is indeed underway.

I wish I could’ve written poetry like this in high school – described a sunset as “dripping mango light” or written a verse like this:
You laugh,
rap my woody shell
with wicked whispers shaped
like knuckles,
then toss me aside.

I wish I could’ve written a story and poems in so many distinct, believable teen voices. I wish I could’ve created interesting, imperfect characters who genuinely care about the media’s cynical view of teenagers and who are determined to “be the ones who write the news./Starting now, we can create ourselves a whole new crew.”

Well, so maybe those wishes aren’t mine to come true. But you know what else I wish? For a book that makes me gasp out loud because words are just so beautiful. A book that renews my love of freestyle and spoken word poetry. A book with succinct phrases like “I love my moms” that make me cry. I wish for a book I love so much that the first time I finish it, I turn right back to the first page to start reading it again.

Wish granted. Thank you, Nikki Grimes.

Book Information:
Winner of the Coretta Scott King Award
TITLE: Bronx Masquerade
AUTHOR: Nikki Grimes
ISBN: 0-14-250189-1
PAGES: 167
PUBLISHER: Penguin Group

1 comment:

  1. You make this book sound pretty awesome. You know, you should join GoodReads.com and post links to your reviews here.

    I love how Grimes found a way to combine poetry and fiction in a novel.

    ReplyDelete