Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Open Blog Poetry

In high school, I could never have written poetry as smart as the students in Bronx Masquerade – especially since I was so busy writing remarkably awful, melodramatic short stories, like the one about an emotionally unbalanced girl who ends the story by slashing a dozen lovely roses with a butcher knife into a pile of sweet-smelling floral guts. Because in my sheltered, nuclear-familied imagination, that’s exactly what people from a clichéd dysfunctional family (drunk dad, icy mom) did. Holy crap, I cringe at the very THOUGHT of anyone actually finding that tripe with my name on it. Fortunately, I also have journal upon journal full of entries from high school that are somewhat readable because they were about things I lived. And even more fortunately, I’d figured all that out by the time I got to college, signed up for a creative writing class and was forced to write a poem or two. Which is when I dug deep and unearthed some of the teenage angst I’d tried to forget. And at the age of 21, I still couldn’t write smart poetry, but at least I could finally write about high school from my heart.

So in the spirit of Bronx Masquerade’s Open Mike Fridays, I’m going to risk embarrassment (I’m already flinching) and share the untitled poem I wrote as an adult about my experience in high school:

Painted lips, lurid eyes, masks
at Mardi Gras, and hair so carefully forced.
In front of you, their sugar
-coated empty words drip
like honey
from pasted smiles. But behind
your back,
their vicious words are thorns.
Their slippery
Promises – a trap that lured
me, dutifully clinging,
exclusive.
And others’ envy – nectar
for the swarm from which
I fled.


Ok, now that I’ve run naked, it’s your turn. Maybe you don’t have a poem, but since so much of poetry is finding the right word, what’s your word (or two) to describe a feeling, a friend, an enemy, an incident or anything from high school?

7 comments:

  1. Okay, don't hate me. Remember that time when I told you how obsessed I was with My So-Called Life in high school? Well any talk of high school poetry immediately takes me right back to episode 6, "The Substitute," where Angela wakes up to independent thought. So forgive my self-preservation instinct and enjoy Angela's words instead of mine.

    "Once upon a time there lived a girl. She slept in a lovely little cottage made of gingerbread and candy. She was always asleep. One morning she woke up, and the candy had mold on it. Her father blew her a kiss and the house fell down. She realized she was lost. She found herself walking down a crowded street, but the people were made of paper, like paper dolls. She blew everyone a kiss goodbye, and watched as they blew away."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, as much as I don’t relate to Angela, I totally agree that the show was well-written and that is an extremely articulate and effective passage. I already wanted to kill myself at the word “mold.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I didn't know you wrote poetry! So everyone knows high school was tormenting, but does anyone else look back at even their college selves and cringe?? Sometimes I feel like everyone had themselves figured out by then but me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Promises – a trap that lured
    me, dutifully clinging,
    exclusive."

    I loved that. The way you broke the lines was especially clever, for all the meanings it creates.

    I'm a crappy poet so I won't even go there, but high school was so mixed for me. I loved it, and I got really close to some key people in my life, but senior year was crazy and tough, and when I left, I was ready to be done with it forever.

    Now I'm not so bitter about it. I think it really shaped who I am today, and I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I'd say that when it came to having myself figured out, I was decidedly worse in college. I was a messy jumble of self-doubt, guilt and eating disorders. In high school, I knew what I wanted to do, I knew how to get there (HA!) and by golly, I was going to take on THE WORLD. Of course, I was also smug, selfish and mean. At least I was a nicer person once I realized that THE WORLD could kill me and my little dream too.

    And thank you, Kristan. Creating meaning with line breaks was what I loved the most about writing poetry. Actually maybe the only thing I loved about it. I don't know that I could ever write another one - I think I sucked out every last drop of my inner-poet during that class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I am so impressed at the poetry Stacey. Jennifer, the poem made me sad that a teenager had those dark thoughts. I thought high school absolutely rocked! I was in every club, choir, and an athletic trainer for the football team. I partied way too much but still managed to keep my grades (26 in a class of 450) and activities. I can even fondly look back now to my first job at McDonald's when I was 16 and had to be there on Sundays at 4:30 a.m. because I was the biscuit maker. The kick in the face for me was going to TCU and I was completely shocked!Here I was, the poor girl from Garland driving her '72 brown Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, not wearing the right clothes with a heavy Texas accent and not skating by in my honors classes effortlessly like I had in high school. So my 17 year old emotionally-not-ready self decided to escape to live it up in Dallas every weekend and had a 2.5 GPA. Subsequently, I was taken out of TCU by my mom and went to school part time for 7 years but never graduated. So for me, I wish my high school years would have been filled with angst so that I could have blossomed in college but my star burned brightest in high school. Luckily, by 23 I got my act together and figured it out and my star has been steadily burning every since.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo definitely agree with Kristan especially for that stanza (did I use the word correctly?--see how poetry-defunct I am!) I think I wrote some poems, but mostly songs that I have no idea where they are. I was definitely a music nut, which is probably why I love lyrics.

    I was lucky with high school. I live a little through rose-colored glasses, in that every period of my life (despite the obstacles I have to overcome) only gets better than the one before. High school was a mix of every emotion, but I honestly felt that every year was better than the one before.

    ReplyDelete