Saturday, September 18, 2010

New plan

I’m here, I’m here! And I have a reason why I’ve been AWOL.

You know how when you take something you love and make it into work, that thing you love becomes a chore? I discovered a few disturbing facts after starting this blog:

1. Devouring books started to feel stressful. Instead of purely enjoying it from cover to cover, I had to take notes and start thinking of how to approach and present a review of it. Not only was it not fun anymore, but it was also causing me to accumulate large stacks of overdue library books.

2. I don’t like reviewing books. I am not a literary author. Or any kind of author. What do I know? And if I actually finish a book, that means there’s something in there that I like and my personality is such that I want to focus on THAT and end every review with, “blah blah blah, but who cares? I still liked it.” If I really have a problem with a book, I just don’t bother reading it. I am a bad traditional book reviewer.

3. Those large stacks of overdue library books get expensive.

So, I’m trying something different. Brief reviews. Summary and a few informal thoughts. And a hope that I will still get faster at it. I can read a couple of books per day, but it seems to take me at least a week to post something about it. But I will keep persevering because I still like this idea. And I’m not one to throw in the towel. So keep tuning in.

No comments:

Post a Comment